Friday, April 18, 2008

The anatomy of an at bat.

Runners were on 1st and 3rd. There was 1 out.

My team was leading 2-0 in the top of the fifth inning. I had average speed on the bases. My two hitter(left handed batter) was up against a right handed pitcher that had a fastball and curveball. The batter was a C runner. That means he is a definite candidate for a double play.

I approached the runner at 3B and said "Contact. Out by a lot get in a rundown. Don't let them turn a double play." My thinking here is my runner on third could draw a throw rather than let them turn two on my #2 hitter.

With a lefty up there is a huge hole between first and second. This gives my lefty a great opportunity to shoot the ball through the hole. I'm hoping the count works in his favor so he can get a fastball that he could possibly drive through that hole.

I signal my traditional "first and third" sign to both runners to alert them that our 1st and 3rd package is available. This also alerts them to the fact that a fake to third back to first play is available to the pitcher. However, with my 2 hitter up and 1 out- nothing is urgent so I don't put anything on. BALL ONE.

1-0 count. Advantage count. The chances are good that he'll hit his pitch and not rollover on a pitch for that dreaded double play opportunity. Signal 1st and 3rd but again, NOTHING ON. FOUL BALL STRAIGHT BACK.

1-1 count. We've got a 2 run lead. That run would be really nice but it certainly isn't do or die. For that matter, I'm going to eschew the hit and run. The hit and run would ask the batter to hit the ball on the ground while sending the runner on 3B contact. Unnecessary to give up an out at this point. Plus, it's my two hitter. A big inning could be coming. I'll settle for a fake steal with the runner at 1st. This will allow me to see infield coverage and to possibly move the middle infelders out of position. Runner fakes. Runner call is made and the ball is taken high. BALL TWO.

2-1 count. If I'm not willing to hit and run 1-1, why would I do it in a more advantage count? I wouldn't. Nothing really to do here. I might start the runner in a 3 ball count so I'll fake steal again. I love doing this with a lefty in the box because it's so effective. The catcher really relies on that runner call. Fake steal again and this time the ball is low. BALL THREE. The shortstop is definitely leaving too early. A big reason is because he's not in double play depth.

3-1 count. Not only could I stay out of a double play by starting the runner but now I might be able to score two runs if this 3-1 pitch could be hit in the gap. Do I start the runner with a "3 ball" hit and run? If the batter takes strike 2 and the runner gets thrown out I look really bad. Not only do I lose my man on 3rd with 1 out advantge but I might prevent the 3 hitter from having a big RBI opportunity. Remember- I still have that coveted hole open over there. I choose to keep the runner at 1st. Of course, I'm still going on contact which hopefully allows me a chance to prevent the double play. STRIKE TWO LOOKING. Wow. Good thing I chose not to start the runner.

3-2 count. Start the runner or not start the runner again? What appears to be the best chance for the defense to turn a double play? Since I have average speed at first, if the batter strikes out what are the chances that the runner would also be thrown out at 2B? When I faked the steal earlier in the at bat, the SS went to the bag which leads me to believe that they would try a throw him out 1st/3rd option. But, I don't think my guy will strike out. He's had some good at bats off this guy before. If I start him I take the batted ball double play out of the equation. It could open up a base for my 3 hitter but I have another lefty behind him if they choose to walk him. I'm willing to risk the open base by starting the runner. I'm giving the "3 ball hit and run." Runner takes off and the ball is hit in the air to the centerfielder. Man on 3B tags and scores. Runner at 1st sees the fly ball and retreats.

Man on 1st and 2 out, with the 3 hitter up. And it continues again.

No comments: