Friday, November 30, 2007

"A runner" hitting? Infielders slide to their right?

I saw a college baseball team do this and I began to wonder why. I have no idea if this is the reason but I'd like to discuss it as a possibility.

With an A runner in the batters box, infielders who field a backhand ball have less of a chance to throw the runner out. By sliding to their right they make more groundballs glove side balls. By doing this they have their momentum already moving to their left as they field the ball- in the direction of 1st base.

I have no idea of knowing if the idea has manifested itself into a more pragmatic way to defend speed. I have no idea of knowing if this is why the college team did this. But, theoretically I believe the idea has some creedence.

"A runner" in the box, slide to your right to give yourself a chance to create momentum in the direction of first base.

No comments: