Saturday, December 1, 2007

How should you call for a pop up?

" I got it." "Ball, Ball, Ball" "Me,Me,Me"

There are so many different ways to demand the ball. Is there a best way to call the ball? Let's investigate.

I suppose as long as the ball is caught it doesn't really matter how the ball is called for. However, not all fly balls are created equal. The harder the fly ball the more detailed you need to be with your technique.

I prefer the "me,me,me" "you,you,you" method and here is why.

Typically an outfielder only calls for the ball when he has a chance at the ball. I really like the idea of communicating if you can't catch a ball also. If two players are converging and one of them knows that the other one absolutely can not get to the ball and he calls "you,you,you" the other player can go at it full speed.

But, if you are chasing a ball and are not sure whether or not your teammate can get there there will most assuredly be some indecision. That indecision can cause a ball to drop.

If you can catch it most definitely - "me,me,me" If you can't catch it then - "you,you,you"

No comments: