Sunday, January 27, 2008

Could you hit and run with 2 strikes?

Conventional baseball wisdom says that you don't hit and run with two strikes as you don't want the batter chasing a pitch for strike 3. Makes sense. Now, I'm not talking about a 3-2 hit and run. That isn't a true hit and run because the batter can take the pitch.

But, I contend that anytime that you accept something as gospel you neglect the "outside the box" thinking that makes people creative.

I do think there is a time and a place for a 2 strike hit and run. Let me explain.

First of all there needs to be a situation where you really want to advance a runner or it is becoming more and more likely that you believe a double play could be in order. Both of these reasons are good ones for wanting to start the runner and put on a hit and run. Remember that the original premise why you don't hit and run is because you don't want the batter chasing strike 3. So, when is there a better than average chance that he won't chase strike 3? When the pitcher needs to throw a strike.

A situation arose last year in a game where we had runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 out. Our 8 hitter was up and I really wanted a runner on 3B with 1 out. I also was fearful that he would hit into a double play. After he unsuccessfully attempted bunting I asked him to hit and run with a 2-2 count. He fouled off 3 pitches before eventually striking out. All the pitches were in the zone(strike 3 was looking) and reasonable pitches to hit and run on. The runner was also thrown out at 3B but I still contend it made sense.

No comments: