Wednesday, February 20, 2008

PFP(Pitchers Fielding Practice) ?

PFP at the big league level is almost laughable. I was watching Sportscenter and they were showing pitchers performing a spring training ritual of PFP. You have got to be kidding me.

This is professional baseball, right? This is the highest level at which the game is played. Yet, PFP is always done at half speed. ALWAYS.

I have yet to see a player hustle over to the bag and catch a throw from the 1B and turn and look to see if there is a play on another runner. I have yet to see loud communication between the pitcher and the 1B that would indicate that there is a chance that the play could be botched.

Rather, the professional coach hits a routine, slow roller that the 1B fields and casually flips it to a jogging pitcher. Why? Probably because this is so routine and they have done it for years.

Someone needs to tell professional baseball that this is an absolute waste of time.

And just so I could bolster my argument, I called my brother who participated in these workouts at the big league level. His reply?

It's a joke!

No comments: