Saturday, May 10, 2008

What "verbals" do we use with cutoffs?

How does a catcher communicate to his 1B and 3B when asking for the ball to be cut? I have heard many different methods used to communicate a catcher's intentions. Here is what I think ought to be used.

If you want the ball cut you must yell "cut". What follows the cut is critcial and the timing of this is also important. "Cut 2, 3, 4" "Cut hold." These are all legitimate manners in which you can communicate to the 1st or 3rd baseman. I have heard "relay" used as a "cut 4" option. I think that is a fine way in which to communicate the idea of simply redirecting the ball to home plate.

The primary difference that I have seen in cutoffs is what do you say if you don't want the ball cut. I have seen some teams not say anything at all. I think this is terrible strategy. I think something needs to be said so there is no miscommunication as to what is expected of the cut man. If nothing is said there is a possibility that someone could yell "cut" when you actually want the ball to go through. It's unethical- but I've seen it done.

If the catcher yells "let it go, let it go" it prevents the possibility of someone else intervening and making a bogus call.

Something to consider when teaching cutoffs.

No comments: